Most this week was spent turning PML input and output. I spent a bit of work bug tracking and enhancing FB2 output as well.
The changes for PML input are as follows. Pass along the included cover as the cover when converting (also applies to eReader PDB). Allow for images to be in top level, archivename_img or images directory for PMLZ. Based on that order it will check for images and if they are not found move onto the next location. For PML, images can be in pmlname_img or images directory. Footnotes and sidebars now display cleaner. They are separated better and EPUB puts them on individual pages. They also include a return link which goes back to the place in the text they are referenced. This assumes one footnote and sidebar per entry in the text, so if it’s referenced multiple times the return link will go back to the return reference.
PML output now creates a and U codes only for supported characters. All characters that are not supported and that cannot be turned into an a or U code will be replaced with a ?.
Along with the changes for PML input reading the cover they are now read as part of the metadata. This applies to both PML, PMLZ and eReader PDB files.
I’ve created a PML2PMLZ FileType plugin which will run when ever PML is imported into the GUI. It takes a PML file looks for images in the above mentioned locations, takes it all and puts it into a PMLZ archive. The PMLZ archive is them added to the library.
When I went to test the PML2PMLZ plugin I found that the GUI on my system was horribly broken. After a bit of work with Kovid, I found that calibre-parallel had to be in the path if calibre was installed in a non standard location. I install into my home directory using the develop command. Kovid has committed a fix that writes the install path to the launcher for these instances.
FB2 output now turns h1 tags into
<section><title> tags to allow for TOC
generation. As far as I can tell FB2 has not set TOC and instead readers
dynamically generate the TOC based on looking at all of the body and sections
and sets the text using the title tag. Right now the FB2 output is limited to
only turning h1 tags and cannot use the user defined TOC based on an XPATH
expression. I plan to fix this limitation in the future.